Courses and workshops
We publicise a range of courses and workshops of interest to the local care sector. Please browse or use the search facility below.
If you are running a course or workshop you would like publicised, or have spare spaces on some training you are holding, please submit it using the tab on the left.
Single Handed Care Workshop - Free
By the end of the session delegates will be able to:
- Identify which customers are appropriate for single assist care.
- Refer customers to County Moving and Handling Team for review.
- Recommend single assist techniques for supporting a person from sitting to standing.
- Recommend single assist techniques for supporting a person to move and turn in bed.
- Recommend single assist techniques for application of slings.
- Recommends single assist techniques with the use of hoists.
- Recommend single assist techniques when using small pieces moving and handling equipment.
Unit 3, Caley Close, Sweetbriar Industrial Estate,
Norfolk County Council
Care Skills and Professional Practice (formerly 'Role of the Care Worker')
Mapped to & supporting the Care Certificate Induction Standards 1-9 & 14
A comprehensive introduction/induction for staff new (or returning) to the care or support worker role: to help understand their role and responsibilities within this specific work environment, to achieve a high standard of care delivery for the individual(s) they support. Including:
- Core values, communication and confidentiality
- Duty of Care: responsibility, accountability
- Professional Boundaries
- The value of equality and of providing inclusive support
- The application of policies & procedures and correct record keeping
- Promoting good nutrition and hydration to maintain health and wellbeing
- Awareness of mental health, dementia and learning disability
- Handling Information
- The importance of person centred working, teamwork, home working, considering the effect of the care environment on the client group.
This session can be accessed as a 'stand alone' course, or as part of our comprehensive 3-day Induction and Mandatory training programme at a discounted rate (please see 11 & 12 September dates)
£90 + vat per person
Introduction to Makaton
Makaton for Parents and Carers training is recommended for parents, family members, carers and workers who need to use Makaton at home and in their work. The Complete Makaton Workshop is made up of 4 modules. On this introductory course, the first two modules are delivered – with an option to sign up to complete the final 2 modules if desired.
Course topics include:
- Learning the signs and symbols for stages 1 – 2 of the Core Vocabulary and some of the Additional Vocabulary
- Hints and tips for effective signing
- How to start using Makaton in everyday situations at home or work
- Finding out how Makaton fits in with other signed systems
- More information
- Delivered by Matthew Rowland, an experienced practitioner, and Makaton Regional Tutor.
Book 5 places and a £60 discount is automatically applied
Stowmarket Community Hub,
Makaton Regional Tutor
Medicines Management in Care Homes
The training course is designed to equip staff with the knowledge and skills they need to ensure the safe handling and administration of medicines. Our medicines management expertise will ensure that you are fully up-to-date with current guidelines and best practice across all areas of medicines management.
Our training courses are comprehensive, and suitable for staff from all care homes including those registered to accommodate people with dementia and learning difficulties. As well as nursing and residential care home staff, the courses are also suitable for all care agency staff.
Course topics include:
- Regulations and the law
- Medication journey
- Record keeping
- Safe administration and storage
Learning materials have been developed with reference to:
- NICE guidelines
- CQC Standards for care homes
- Care Certificate
- Guidelines set by the Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain
The course is designed to be interactive. There will be a mix of presentation, group tasks and discussions. All attendees will be given a workbook to take away with them, and a Certificate of Attendance.
Each course costs £56 per person
Yours Business Networks,
18 Tuesday Market Place,
AGEM CSU - Medicines Optimisation Team
Signalong Phase 1 Course - 5 sessions
The Signalong Phase 1 Foundation course is a 15-hour accredited course and suitable for those supporting Signalong users. Learners will learn how to apply signing in their own environment with an emphasis on the practical application of signing. This covers all vocabulary in the Signalong Phase 1 manual (at least 360 signs).
Mondays - 10th, 17th, 24th September, 1st and 8th October 2018. Each session will be from 10.00am to 3.30pm.
Leaners need to attend all five sessions.
£85.00 per learner plus £19 for a Signalong Phase 1 manual.
221 St Leonards Road,
Social Care Worker 2 Day (Induction Training)
Extra Hands provide comprehensive training for individuals and companies across Norfolk.
Extra Hands Social Care Worker Training equips staff with the knowledge and understanding of the role of the worker, communicating effectively, empowering Service User’s and their independence and employment related matters.
Attendees will gain an understanding of the needs of individuals and different Service User groups.
Topics covered include:
• Understanding the effects of the service setting on service provision
• Principles of Care
• Code of Conduct
• Care plans
• Continuity and reliability of the service
• Care & Respect – death and dying
• Risk Assessing
• Dementia Awareness
• Abuse & Neglect
• Health & Safety in a Care Setting
This is an interactive training session where attendees are given training manuals to take away and a certificate of attendance issued.
Two full days in office 9.30 am to 4.30 pm
Refreshments will be provided through the day, however lunch is not provided
Per Person - two full days
Units 13/14 Heacham Hall Ind Units,
Extra Hands of Heacham Ltd
01485 570 611
HABC Emergency First Aid at Work
We are offering a Highfield Awarding body for Compliance accredited Emergency First Aid at Work training course which is ideal for anybody wishing to learn more about first aid.
The course content will include:
* Incident Management
* Dealing with Shock
* Dealing with an unconscious casualty
* Minor injuries
HABC Emergency First Aid at Work
This course is a Highfield Awarding body for compliance accredited training course and content includes:
- RECOVERY POSITION
- EXTERNAL BLEEDING
- CUTS & GRAZES
- BURNS & SCALDS
- ACCIDENT REPORTING
Health and Safety, Food Safety, Infection control and Fire Safety
Mapped to the Care Certificate Standards 13 & 14 and annual/biennial mandatory training requirements/updates.
- Principles of Health & Safety at Work Legislation and reporting (COSHH, RIDDOR etc) and responsibilities in the workplace.
- The importance of food safety and hygiene in the preparation and handling of food, to ensure that all food handlers control food safety risk.
- Infection Control legislation; causes/spread of infections; correct handwashing procedures, PPE, safe disposal of clinical waste; dealing with spillages & laundries.
- Basic Fire Safety Awareness and principles of safe evacuation.
£45 +vat per person
Medication training for homecare workers
Medication use according to the Norfolk Medication Policy for homecare workers (not suitable for Residential Care).
- Medication Policy and Safety - Medication regulations; Religious and ethical beliefs; Levels of administration; Errors and near-misses.
- Handling of Medicines - Routes of medicines supply; Ordering, storage and disposal of medication; Crushing and covert administration; High risk medicines.
- MAR Charts - Understand the reasons for using a MAR chart; Complete a MAR chart accurately; Who to refer to when there is a problem.
Course cost is non-refundable, but substitutions may be made.
The Costessey Centre,